Definitions Relating to FAKE NEWS – http://drc.centerfornewsliteracy.org/glossary-language-news-literacy
Sites with tips to think critically and evaluate information
- Media Bias/Fact Check News
Fact Checking Sites
Known fake, parodic and misleading news sites
From Snopes.com – National Report, World News Daily Report, Huzlers, Empire News, Stuppid, News Examiner, Newswatch28(Newswatch33), Naha Daily, The Stately Harold, NewsBuzzDaily, Now8News, The Reporterz, Empire Herald, Satira Tribune, NC Scooper (Nevada County Scooper), Associated Media Coverage (Boston Tribune, Boston Leader, Baltimore Gazette, Seattle Tribune), React365, Burrard Street Journal
List of Fake and Parody News
Professor Zimdars’ original list and criteria, with updates and addenda.
- Gannett Newsstand Complete–Over 85 Gannett newspapers, including 6 from New York State (the Ithaca Journal, Poughkeepsie Journal, Rochester Democrat and Chronicle, Journal News (White Plains), Press and Sun-Bulletin (Binghamton), and Star-Gazette (Elmira).
- InfoTrac Newsstand–Full-text newspapers, including the New York Times from 1995- and more than 1000 major US regional, national, and local newspapers (33 from New York State).
- National Newspaper Index–Contains indexing of The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The Christian Science Monitor, Los Angeles Times, USA Today, and The Washington Post.
- NYS Historic Newspapers — This state wide project provides free online access to a wide range of newspapers chosen to reflect New York’s unique history.
- New York State Newspapers–A database of 33 major newspapers published in the State of New York: the Albany Times Union, New York Times, Newsday, Buffalo News, Post-Standard (Syracuse), Watertown Daily Times, Times Herald-Record (Middletown) and others.
- Opposing Viewpoints in Context–More than 13,000 pro/con viewpoints on current issues.
- Academic One File–Multimedia research information, with an emphasis on the hard sciences, engineering, and business, as well as agriculture, criminal justice, environmental studies, pop culture, psychology, war, and terrorism.
- General One File–A comprehensive general-interest database with journal articles, as well as travel guides, transcripts from National Public Radio, and television video files.
- *OmniFile Full Text Select–More than 3100 journals from the arts, humanities, law, ethnic studies, women’s studies, history, business, technology, and science. Includes podcasts, non-English article translations, and downloadable MP3 and article readalouds. Provided by 4CLS.
- *Consumer Health Complete (new to the Research Center) Consumer oriented health information designed to support the health needs of our patrons. Information covers all areas of health and wellness, including mainstream, holistic, and integrated treatments. Provided by 4CLS.
- Health Reference Center Academic –-A medical database with journal articles, reference books, pamphlets, and online videos covering medicine, health, and nursing topics.